Monday, November 9, 2009

Photograph of Howard Pyle, 1906



Here is Howard Pyle, with palette and brush in hand, painting - or, more likely, pretending to paint - “The Battle of Nashville” in his studio at 1305 Franklin Street in Wilmington, Delaware.

This particular print, once owned by Frederick Hill Meserve, is a detail of a larger photograph probably taken in the early summer of 1906, just as Pyle was finishing up his painting, which he copyrighted on July 9. That fall, he sent it to St. Paul, Minnesota, where it was installed - and may still be seen - in the Governor’s Reception Room in the State Capitol building, designed by Cass Gilbert.

3 comments:

Pete said...

I love this blog! I'm a big fan of Pyle too, and this just may be the best Civil War painting ever done!

Ian Schoenherr said...

It is, isn't it? I need to go to St. Paul and see it in person, once and for all!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful painting..!! Wow..!!.. I've never seen this one. I totally agree with pete ......it's the best painting ever done on the civil war. Dunn,... quoted that Pyle could not paint in color. WHat..?? if that's not color than I'm baffled. Thanks for great post.